Wednesday, November 23, 2005

I Want My XBOX 360





I want the much touted Xbox 360, this much I'm sure you already know.

What you likely don't know is my story, not personally. Nevertheless I'm sure you're familiar with one similar, and more than likely - if you're a gamer - had an experience similar to mine.

Imagine, or recall, if you will, a Best Buy, a Walmart, a Circuit City, or one of many other retail stores(anyone will do, or all of them if you made the complete roundup). Imagine a group of people, around fifty or so, lined up on a sidewalk. They're all different sorts of people, some hardcore gamers, other just moms or dads standing in line so their son can get the holiday's most coveted present(or to snag one for themselves). Race and class is mixed, but in defiance to what any other circumstance would suggest, that doesn't seem to matter here. Most everyone is friendly and eager despite unsavory conditions. There's a few malcontents grumbling about the cold and making it obvious they're in need of sleep, but this doesn't cause any real problems. The majority lined up are talkative. Conversations that would otherwise never take place thanks to barriers like age or occupation spark in speculation over the first next-generation system launch.

Hours pass and in many cases calenders shift - people have been waiting for a long ass time. Those in front of the line - despite cold and sleep deprivation - are in an enviable position. However long and arduous the wait may be, they know what's coming at the end. If you're stuck farther back, you're left only hoping your efforts will be successful.

This is the point where stories begin to vary.

For some, the campaign ends in blissful success and acquisition of the Xbox 360. Needless to say, my story didn't have that ending. Chances are, yours didn't either. I'm not alone in my lacking, this much I'm sure of. In every instance where I lined up unsuccessfully, I walked away as one of a dozen, two dozen, three dozen or more of people who didn't get what they came for, and that's just a damn shame.

Now by this point certain readers(those that are currently clutching a white wireless controller in their hands, no doubt) are screaming, "you could've gotten on if you really made an effort you idiot!" Surely thoughts of, 'why didn't this guy just preorder?' float around some people's head, these thoughts are certainly understandable and they pop into my head now and again, I assure you. Suffice to say, my brief explanations as to each possible retailer are given on the right sidebar. And if you're so inclined, call me an idiot for doing what I'm doing. I won't bitch about you bitching about me bitching, because hey, that would just be hypocritical.

And what exactly am I doing? I'm doing what any game obessessed person would do in an internet age, I'm grabbing whatever platform I can and complaining till I'm satisfied(which won't happen till I get my 360) or someone makes me stop.

From now until whenever I snag me an Xbox 360 I'm going to spout off on this here blog. Taking the occasional shot at Microsoft or retailers like Gamestop for taking so many damn preorders. Mostly though I'll just complain, try to entertain, and maybe post a few of my speculative thoughts on the 360 and its games.

So if you're like me and 360less, I'm sure you'll appreciate my expression of dismay. And if it's the opposite, then cackle away at my suffering, I'd do the same to you.


signed in misery,
Still Standing in Line

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, I got your comments on my own blog (www.kingmongo.com). Sorry they took so long to populate, I haven't upgraded my publishing software in a while (it's v1.2, current v is 1.6) so I get too much comment spam.

I hate to rub salt in your wounds, but I only waited in line for 45 minutes--I was number 21 of the 24 platinum systems they had :P

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Marcus said...

Heya, thanks for commenting on my blog :). Well, if this makes you feel any better, your one of many who are xbox 360-less today :(. And I fear this will be the case for some time until Microsoft can produce enough to deal with the huge demand. I talked to the manager of an EB store, and he said they'd have them in stock most likely after christmas this year... You're definetly right that these stores allowed too many preorders, but hey, can't blame them.

It may be a blessing in a way...I've heard that there have been some problems with crashing and waht not...and MS will definetly rush to release fixes if these claims are indeed true. After christmas I'm sure these wrinkles will be all ironed out... but the wait can be very painful...and prolonged.

Anyways, best of luck to you in your quest to attain the ultimate gaming machine :)

7:23 PM  
Blogger Still Standing in Line said...

Well it's good hear people have gotten the 360 and had positive experiences.

With the shortages and talk of crashes and the hard drive overheating, this launch isn't looking like it's gone off smoothly for Microsoft.

Thanks for the comments.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Jonty said...

Thanks for the comments on my blog in www.gamingblog.org. You have a point when you say that it is pure stupidty when people who want Xboxes can't get it. MS, in my opinion has 'deliberately' made sure that people are left high and dry for sometime and the hype and frenzy remains.

2:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should wait for a true gaming revolution... snazzy graphics do not make a game great. It's all about gameplay and play control. Any hardcore gamer knows this.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Christopher said...

I'm going to wait a year or two. Something this new is *always* going to have bugs in it (and apparently the 360 has plenty of them). Let others "beta test" it so that Microsoft can iron out the wrinkles. Later on they'll be more plentiful, they'll be even cheaper, and there'll be a lot more gaming library for it. Besides, the original Xbox is still a heckuva lotta fun: I don't see it really being completely supplanted anytime in the forseeable future.

But if you still want a 360, best wishes with your quest :-)

6:06 PM  
Blogger Mitch Allen said...

It's just as well we couldn't get our hands on the first lot. I work in software and the motto has always been "We'll fix it in the point release - because that's what Microsoft does ..." Best to wait for XBox 360.1 !

I don't always follow my own advice. I have one of the first video iPods, straight out of Shanghai. Though I'm getting tired of Halo 2 and really want to start playing Project Gotham Racing 3!

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i curse microsoft with every dark thought in the corners of my dark soul

8:18 PM  
Blogger E-Man said...

you know you could buy one off me i have the premium bundle with an extra wireless controller and call of duty 2 for 850.... if you interested ... e-mail me

abandonedcause@hotmail.com

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Free Xbox360 said...

you can own your own XBox 360 plus 2 games for free,, if you want it that badly by simply going to this secret website,,, if you have 10 friends or more it shouldnt take you more that 20 minutes for it to be on its way...just check it out at least and you decide for yourself if its legit......jus copy and paste link.....http://www.3604free.com/index.php?ref=4389262

4:25 PM  
Anonymous usedlaptopsinhyderabad said...

Look Who Made It In Time For Christmas it is very nice post second hand laptops in hyderabad "Ask and ye shall receive." And so it was...

Yes indeed readers, my quest has ended - I have obtained my XBOX 360.

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.